The full moon on Christmas will be the first in 40 years.
As we often prepare gifts for the kids in our family, This moon calls for us to give the biggest gift to our own inner child: healing, love, acceptance, and forgiveness.
If there was ever a time to do so, it’s now. The moon’s got your back.
Here is a simple ritual based on the Hawaiian practice of Ho’oponopono to guide your healing this full moon:
You will need:
- 2 blue candles (used for forgiveness and healing – especially with children)
- 2 white candles (used for purity and clearing of negativity)
- Picture of yourself as a child (optional)
If possible, get as close to moonlight as possible. Outdoors is best, but if temp won’t allow, try being near an open window where moonlight pours in.
Set up the candles in a square around you. If you are using a picture, create a mini-altar and place the candles in a square around the picture of you. Alternate the candles so that blue is opposite white.
- Spend a few minutes to quiet the mind and body. Focus your attention on one of the candles and let your mind clear. Or, alternatively, bring your attention to your breath, counting odd numbers on the inhale and even numbers on the exhale.
- Think about something from your childhood (or even now!) for which you are still blaming yourself, or for which you feel guilt, pain, or shame. Let whatever emotions arise just be. Do not try to judge or push them away. Allow them to rise and sit on the surface.
- Use the 4 steps of Ho’oponopono:
Step 1: Repentance
Say: “I’m sorry.”
In this step you acknowledge the concerns of your inner child. Accept that this hard experience happened and that you are sorry. Imagine yourself wrapping your arms around a five-year-old you and just letting little you know that you are sorry for the pain she has experienced.
Step 2: Forgiveness
Say: “Please forgive me.”
Honor the remorse you feel for your inner child still being in pain. Maybe your child feels guilty or responsible for a parent’s actions. Whatever. Doesn’t matter who or what it’s directed to, just ask!
Step 3: Gratitude
Say: “Thank you.”
Thank your inner child for being so brave all these years or thank her for protecting you. Thank your body, thank whatever just forgave you. Just express your gratitude!
Step 4: Love
Say: “I love you.”
Repeat it over and over again. Feel it. Accept it. Love heals all.
You can do this ritual once, or as many times as you’d like. I would suggest doing the whole routine at least four times. I personally like to repeat the process until my candles extinguish themselves.
Have you done a Ho’oponopono ritual before? If you have, or do this ritual as I’ve described for this Christmas full moon, be sure to comment below how it felt for you or what emotions came up!